10 Tips to Get Clean Carpets
Carpet fibers are virtually magnetic, grabbing dust and contaminants literally from thin air, on top of whatever people drag in. When they become saturated, simply walking on them throws all sorts of nasty contaminants back into the air for you, your family or your employees to breathe in. Add moisture to this situation, and you have a recipe for disgusting odors and potentially hazardous mold. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends regular, thorough carpet cleaning to help maintain a safe environment in homes and businesses.
There are a lot of companies out there who clean carpets, and it can be hard to determine who you can trust and who will do a good job. We put together these tips to consider when seeking a professional carpet cleaner.
1. Decide what you want to accomplish. A lot of factors contribute to determining what sort of carpet cleaning you may need. The frequency and type of traffic that occurs on the carpet, as well as what type of structure it’s in determines how fast it gets dirty and how hard it is to clean. But you also need to decide what your goal is in cleaning your carpet. Do you just want to remove dirt? Do you have an odor problem or suspect mold? Do you want your carpet disinfected? Before you start looking at cleaning companies, think about these concerns so you can ensure the company you hire can get the job done. And look for a cleaner that’s certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).
2. Ask good questions. The right questions will help you discern a good, reputable company that will do a good job from a company that will just sweep the dirt under the proverbial rug. Good questions to ask a carpet cleaning company you are considering include:
- How does your equipment clean carpet?
- What products do you use to disinfect and deodorize?
- Are your products potentially hazardous to people and animals?
- What kinds of training does your cleaning personnel undergo?
- Are you certified by the IICRC?
“A skilled and reputable cleaning company won’t hesitate to give you a quote in writing. That way, there will be no surprises.”
3. Get a written quote. A skilled and reputable cleaning company won’t hesitate to give you a quote in writing. That way, there will be no surprises.
4. Ensure that cleaning technicians are well trained. Sure, it’s important that your carpet cleaning company uses good equipment and products. But the best equipment and products available cannot use themselves. Probe prospective cleaners about their training until you are satisfied they use only well-trained technicians.
5. Call several companies and compare them. At Abbotts, we’re happy for you to compare us to our competition. We’re highly trained, IICRC certified, highly experienced experts at cleaning and disinfecting carpets. We deliver quality and value that we’ll put up against anyone. But don’t take our word for it. Call around. Ask tough questions. Compare. Then you can make an informed decision.
6. Get a guarantee. Simply put, if a company won’t stand behind their work, you don’t want to do business with them. Insist upon a written guarantee.
7. Check references. Look for customer reviews on any company you’re considering hiring to clean your carpets. And ask for references you can contact to ask about the company’s work. A disgruntled review or two could be just the result of rare circumstances. But a trend of negative reviews should make you cautious.