Mold

Mold occurs naturally, it’s an important part of our environment. Outside, mold is necessary for breaking down dead trees, leaves, and other organic matter. They use their spores to reproduce. These spores can be present inside as well as outside your home. That’s why mold can grow in your home in areas that contain moisture or food.

You can identify mold by a musty smell but when it comes to identifying mold with your eyes there is a significant difference between mold that is active and mold that is inactive. When dealing with young active mold you will notice filaments much like hair which become more and more full as the mold ages. When dealing with inactive mold you will notice that it will be dried and powder-like. Inactive mold can come back, you will note it is inactive, not dead. The right circumstances can resuscitate inactive mold. You may be surprised to hear that mold can actually stain the surface it grew on.

If your’re healthy mold should not pose as a health risk for you. However if you suffer from allergies or asthma you could experience worsening of your symptoms. There are some molds which  create mycotoxins, these can affect your health depending on how much of them and how long you are exposed to them. Whether active or not, mold can have an effect on your health. These effects can be strong from heavy exposure even short-term and long-term exposure can have serious effects on your health.

Assessing the Mold

1: When you find mold in your home, figure out where the moisture is coming from, try and stop the moisture from gathering, assess the situation and determine how much water damage or mold damage you have. Note: When water damage occurs, quick action can prevent a larger amount of damage.When you have water damage you should act as quickly as possible, this will help make sure you don’t have extensive water damage. Clean up the water and dry out the materials as soon as you can, no later than 48 hours after initial saturation.

2: For your own protection and the protection of those living with you or in your building, certain precautions must be taken when remediating areas contaminated by mold. Ideally this should be handled by a professional to mitigate risk.

Dealing with Water Before Mold Comes in

Water Damage Cleanup

  • If your water is contaminated with sewage you will definitely need to consult with a professional. This is hazardous to your health and should be avoided.
  • If the water is not contaminated with sewage you should try to vacuum the water with a wet-vacuum right away.
  • If you have a soaked carpet use an extractor vacuum.
  • Get as much ventilation going as possible. Fans, heaters, dehumidifiers will all do the trick. If you’re in a dry climate you can use outside air ventilation. If your climate is humid you will need a dehumidifier.
  • Move heavy and large objects so you can get the water out from under them.

How to Take Care of Your Items That Have Been Damaged by Water

Assist occupants in moving equipment and other items that are wet out of the water and moving dry items out of any areas at risk for additional water damage. Get everything out of the area and ideally outside so they can properly dry out. This also ensures they aren’t at risk for more water damage

If you’ve followed these steps and you still have lingering water damage or mold call Abbotts Fire & Flood. We are professionals who specialize in water damage and mold remediation and we can get your home back the way it was quickly. Call (619) 223-1800