Skip to content
What should I do to stop water damage while waiting for Abbotts?
- Find the source of the water and stop it, if possible.
- Turn off the main circuit breakers to the structure. Do not operate electrical equipment in wet areas.
- If safe, remove furnishings from wet carpet to avoid staining.
- If safe, remove breakable items and items that are susceptible to water damage.
- If safe, remove or lift curtains and other hanging items that touch the floor to avoid damage and staining.
- Do not run fans or air conditioning if the damage is caused by flooding or a sewage leak. Doing so can spread contamination.
- Open doors and windows to allow air into the structure.
- Make sure you thoroughly wash your hands and disinfect tools and equipment used in water damage cleanup.